Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Fishy Friday: The Spotted Wobbegong Shark

First of all,I'd like to apologize for not doing this post on Friday. I seem to loose the sense to do it... Well, I'm here now, so today I'm going to tell you about the Spotted Wobbegong Shark!

The Wobbegong is one of the..."strangest" sharks I've ever seen (Mom says they look like monsters so don't talk to her about them please!). They are found over in Australia and make their homes on the sea floor or underwater caves. Threat level: Low. They rarely attack humans but will if provoked or stepped on,much like stingrays (Which are also in the shark family.). One of my childhood heroes,Steve Erwin,actually stuck his hand in a Wobbegongs mouth to prove how quickly they strike. They literally vacuum up their prey! There are many species of Wobbegongs but today we're focusing on the Spotted Wobbegong. They get their name from the ''unique" pattern on their back (see picture up top) which allow them to camouflage. Though,all Wobbegongs are spotted and camouflaged,I guess this species had the most spots? Well I don't know. This species grows up to 120 inches,but usually only grow half of that. They,like all sharks, are carnivorous,feeding on fish and squids that aimlessly swim by. I have never heard of a herbivorous shark,have you?

That's my report on the Spotted Wobbegong shark,this Friday will be a normal Fishy Friday,and I'll be telling about a species from the Tang family! I got the info from www.FLMNH.com and the image from Google. The End.











No comments:

Post a Comment