Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!

Friday, February 21, 2014

Hello once again people who read this blog! So on Wednesday we decided to try our 3rd attempt to go to Poe Springs, but we yet again couldn't. Why not? BECAUSE ITS CLOSED ON WEDNESDAYS. Seems legit. So we asked our friend if there was anything else we could go to. She recommended a spring known as Rum Island. I'll be honest, when she said rum the very first thing I thought of was Pirates. Haha I play too much Assassins Creed... Anyways, so after we went (and had an awesome time) my mom got the idea that I should do a report on Rum Island. I kinda saw that coming. So today I'm going to be telling you about our trip to Rum Island.


So when we found out that Poe Springs is closed on Wednesday we decided to go to Rum Island. On the way we passed through a LITERALLY inky dinky little town known as High Springs. I'm guessing its an old city (Even older then Trenton) because the roads are tiny, the buildings look very old, and the churches/homes have a 1930-1940 look to them. Mom got a huge kick out of it, and if we weren't going to Rum Island, probably would've stayed there all day. We drove for a little longer, and then we saw a big bright yellow building. I believe it was called the Rum Island Pub. Hint hint? We took the turn and headed for Rum Island. When we got there we were greeted by some pretty dirty water. Only in the river though, in the part of the spring that was for swimming it was insanely clear. So naturally, my sister and our two friends decide to get in the water. I had no intentions of getting in (at the time) because I was wearing jeans and didn't bring a spare set of clothes. So I sat on the dock, daydreaming (what else is new?) and talking to my friend Lexi. She was looking for Sea Shells (there was a lot of them in there) and I was trying to take a nap. I haven't been getting much sleep lately. STUPID TEENAGE YEARS! Anyways, I decided to go walk around and I found a stick. It looked like a spear, so I picked it up and held it over my shoulder. I have the strange need to do that with a stick. Makes me feel like I'm holding a sword or something. I don't know. I walked around with my stick for a little while, then saw some fish in the spring. Caitlin and our friend Skyler were trying to catch one bear style. Then I got an idea. I sharpened my stick a little, got in the water, and decided to do some spear fishing. With a stick. Hey, no one ever said I was normal. After like 20 tries I gave up. The fish kept seeing (or hearing) me coming and I wasn't patient enough to just sit there and wait. The sad part is I came about 5 centimeters from hitting one. RIP-OFF! So I took my stick and got out. We went down the trail a little, and we found a turtle. I can't remember what kind though. There were a lot of turtles in the area, but this one was just sitting here. He even allowed us to walk right up to him. Then he got nervous and pulled his arms and head back into his shell. He looked like he had been attacked too, because part of his shell was peeling off. We decided to leave him and head farther down the trail. This is where I nearly killed myself. So there was a turtle at the end of this one log, and I wanted to go say hi. So I got on the log and headed for it. Halfway there it jumped into the river. I felt rejected. But I kept getting closer. Then I made the huge mistake of stepping on the algae-coated part of the log. I slipped, caught myself, then landed on the log with one leg 5 feet deep in the muck. If I had known that was muck and not mud, I never would've gone on the log.. So now my leg was stuck. Yaaaay. I actually could've easily gotten my leg out, but I didn't want to lose my shoe. THAT was more stuck then anything. So I pulled and pulled and pulled for about 5 minutes, my one friend asking to help me and my other going "Hey look! DJ's going to die!" with a smile on her face. The sad thing is I actually WOULD'VE died if both of my legs had landed in the muck. I would've gone right under. But at the last second I put one leg on the right side of the log, the other on the left side. The landing wasn't too comfortable, but it beats going underground. Or undermuck. Whatever you want to call it. So after 5 minutes of pulling I had gotten nowhere. Then I got the idea. I used my stick to get my shoe out! I put my stick under my foot, pried my foot out, got back on the log, and walked back to shore. I was now covered in muck and algae. All in a days work, eh? But my reign of being an idiot wasn't done yet. 5 minutes later I noticed an uprooted tree hanging over the river. I just yelled out "Oh look, another stupid thing that could get me killed!" and ran for the tree. I started to climb, then my friend said something very comforting. "Ok, I just want to verify that whatever you are about to do is Caitlins responsibility, not mine. I would also like to say that if you do kill yourself, under the court of law, I was never here." Thanks Lexi. Then our parents saw us and made us get down. Bummer. Then they had us get back on it again for a picture. After that we had to leave. I rinsed off a little bit in the water, said goodbye to my friends, and got in the car and left. I give this fieldtrip 9.5 stars. It would be 10, but I didn't really enjoy nearly killing myself. So that is my report on Rum Island. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment